The Purple Skillet Margarita
Alright so 2021 is the 100th meeting of “The Battle for the Iron Skillet” which is a college football matchup pitting the TCU Horned Frogs against the rival SMU Mustangs. The winner receives an iron skillet as a trophy and bragging rights until the next football season. This season TCU plans to bring the skillet back home as they lead the all time series 51-41 (with 7 ties). With TCU and the city of Fort Worth, TX having played a huge role in the Hook’s Rub history, we’re making a Thirsty Thursday tailgacocktail honoring the rivalry and the Horned Frogs!
Put on your cowboy hat and pull up your boots cause this ones a boozy doozy!
- Hook’s Rub Tacos Everyday Rub
- Jose Cuervo Tradicional Tequila
- Triple Sec Orange Liqueur
- Finest Call Margarita Mix
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Grape Crush Soda
- Lime (whole for zesting & wedges)
- Redmon Real Salt
- Lemon/Lime Cake
- Canola or Peanut Oil for frying
- Glass of any shape. We like jar styled glasses.
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Jigger
- A Shot Glass
- Sharp Knife & cutting board
- A Plate or Salt Rimmer
- A cast iron skillet
- Paper Towels
- A Zester
Method (to make it a mocktail, omit the alcohol):
- Cut some of the lemon/lime cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet to the frying temperature of 350 degrees.
- Fill shot glass halfway with Tequila.
- Using a toothpick, dip the cubes, one by one, into the tequila-filled shot glass and set aside.
- Carefully drop the soaked cake cubes into the frying pan. Fry for 30 seconds on two sides. Remove fried cake onto a plate lined with a paper towel for the excess drippings and to cool.
- In a cocktail shaker pour in: 2 oz of tequila, 1 oz of triple sec, 1/4 oz lime juice & 4 oz of margarita mix.
- Shake the mix for 10 seconds.
- Rim your glass with Hook’s Tacos Everyday.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Pour in the margarita mixture.
- Top with Grape Crush.
- Garnish with lime, fried cake on the toothpick, lime zest and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Enjoy Responsibly for ages 21+ & #GoFrogs.
** If you like this recipe & have mixed it, please leave a review, follow us on Instagram: @HooksSpiceRubs & TikTok: @HooksRub and share it with your friends!
Leave a comment