Sticky Asian Chicken Burger
Looking for a showstopper at your summer BBQ with friends & family, look no further than our Sticky Sauce Asian Burger! We use our Fresh Catch Rub along with some other ingredients bursting with flavor that will send y'all on a flavor journey to Southeast Asia.
This juicy flavor-packed burger really shines when using ground chicken, but you can also modify it to be made with beef. We’ve made both versions & both are pretty epic! (Psst, you can even try ground turkey or pork) This recipe is perfect as a full burger or sliders!
Makes 4x Full Burgers per 1 LB of ground meat
For the Meat
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 TBS Chinese Five Spice
- 1 TBS Brown Sugar
- 1 TBS Minced Garlic
- 1 TBS Sticky Wing Sauce
- 1 TSP Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Chives (Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Basil (Chopped)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- Juice of 1 lime or 2 TBS Lime Juice
For the Spicy Asian Sauce
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 2 TSP Sriracha Sauce
- 2 TSP Sambal Olek
- 1 TSP Honey
For the Toppings & Bun
- 2 Cup Mayo
- 14 oz bag Coleslaw Salad Mix
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 3 TBS Bachan's Japanese BBQ Sauce
- Red Pepper or Black Pepper to taste
- Butter Lettuce or Asian Lettuce
- White Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 4 brioche burger buns or Bao Bun Large enough to make a burger
- Sharp Knives
- Cutting Boards
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Mixing bowls
- Small or medium sized pot
- Plastic Wrap
Chicken Prep & Flavor Development
1. Place the chicken in a mixing bowl, then add in the Fresh Catch, Chinese Five Spice, brown sugar, minced garlic, sticky wing sauce, soy sauce, chopped chives, chopped sweet basil, Egg & panko bread crumbs. Mix until well combined and you can pull a handful of meat and see most of these ingredients scattered throughout. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 4-24 hours. The longer the rest, the deeper and more developed the flavor.
**Before we start the stove/grill, we'll prep the sauces and toppings.
Spicy Asian Sauce
2. In a mixing bowl (or blender) combine, Mayo, Sriracha Sauce, Sambal Olek & Honey. You can add more of the spicy sauces for more spice or more of the honey for a sweeter flavor profile.
3. Blend until you get a well-incorporated, smooth consistency and set aside.
Asian Slaw Topping
4. Pour coleslaw mix into mixing bowl then add mayo, sesame seeds, Bachan's Japanese BBQ Sauce and red pepper flakes or black pepper to taste.
5. Gently mix with a spoon until well-incorporated. Set aside or put into the fridge. This will keep for 2-5 days in the fridge.
Grilling The Chicken
7. Before forming into patties, mix in lime juice. Form the chicken into patties then place on the grill or griddle.
8. Grill 5-7 minutes per side. The chicken will be done at 165 degrees OR when the juices run clear.
9. After cooking both sides, top with a slice of cheese to get it melty.
10. While the chicken is cooking, spread mayo on the inside of the brioche buns and toast (mayo side down) on the grill or griddle until your desired toastiness. (Alternatively, toast the buns in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. You can also toast the buns in a toaster, then spread butter on each side.)
Building the Burger
11. Spread some of the Spicy Asian Sauce
on both sides of the bun, then place a leaf of lettuce on the bottom bun. Put that on a plate.
12. Next, stack on the chicken patty, a large spoonful of the coleslaw mixture and the top bun.
13. Take a juicy bite and enjoy with your favorite cool beverage