Texas Chili ft. Texas 3-Step Combo
Growing up in Texas, I realized there’s one thing you just don’t mess with by adding beans and that “one thing” is Texas Chili! Now non-native Texans and people in other states may love kidney, pinto or black beans in theirs, but if you bring that to a cookout back home, your dish may somehow find its way into the garbage!
This recipe uses our Texas 3-Step Combo which provides all the flavors you’ll need to make a flavorful, hearty bowl of chili to warm your bones!
Hook’s Texas 3-Step (Mad Cow, Tacos Everyday & H-Town AP Rub)
2 Lbs Ground Chuck 85/15
1-2 Cowhorn Peppers
1-2 Chopped Jalapeno Peppers
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Orange Bell Pepper
2 Large Tomatoes (beefsteak or heirloom are ideal)
1/2 White Onion
4-6 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 TBS Cocoa Powder
4 TBS Spicy Yellow Mustard
32 oz Beef Broth
10 oz Beef Consommé
12 oz Tomato Paste
12 oz Mexican Beer (can be omitted if you do not like beer, just add more broth or consume)
OPTIONAL: 1-2 cans of black, kidney or pinto beans (Mrs. Hook’s Rub said to add this or else!)
Large Stock Pot or Dutch Oven with lid
Sharp Chef Knife
Wooden Spoon or Spatula
Spoons to taste mixture
1. Chop up the onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes and set aside.
2. In the pot, brown your meat and add H-Town AP & Mad Cow to taste.
3. Once the meat is browned, drain off any excess fat then return it to the pot.
4. Pour in 2-4 TBS of Tacos Everyday & the cocoa powder. Mix to incorporate seasoning into meat.
5. Add in chopped vegetables & tomatoes, tomato paste, mustard, consommé, broth & beer (you’d also add the optional ingredient here).
6. Stir mixture to incorporate.
7. Taste with a clean spoon then add more seasoning to taste.
8. Cover the pot with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour to check thickness.
PRO TIP: You can simmer longer if you like the chili thicker.
9. Serve a heaping helping in a bowl, garnish with your choice of sour cream and or shredded cheese, add a buttery slice of cornbread on the side and enjoy!